Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Sonar Swaps Locations

Well, it's been confirmed. Sonar is changing locations for the Day events. For 19 years the Sonar by Day has entertained the crowds in the Raval at the CCCB and its surrounding area, but now, as we approach the 20th edition of the mega music show, things are hopping across town to the Fira de Barcelona and the extensive outdoor space. It's not a massive distance but it seems like the pressure from the authorities and the neighbours has finally got its way and this way, there's no worry about breaking the permitted sound levels and the like.

The site has dressed up the move as "helping the flow of people" and bringing the Night venue closer (true) but I personally think it's a shame that it's moved. Yes, the new space is bigger (I've been there for the Harley Davidson shows, for example) but there was something special about Sonar by day being in the heart of the Raval for me, and the expanse of the new location will take something intimate away (for me). I don't mean to sound negative and obviously, I'd love to be proven wrong  - What do you guys and gals  think ? Let me know in the comments!

Do you plan on going to Sonar 20 this year? www.bcn-rentals.com has some great deals on apartments!

2 comments:

Rob said...

I agree Dave. I think it's a shame. But hopefully we'll be proved wrong. The CCCB was near my old flat. Now the Fira is near my new one (even closer). I hope it doesn't keep me up when I'm trying to grab a few hours over the 3 days!

Unknown said...

Thanks for commenting Rob. Yes, it has the potential of being just as annoying (remember LA Terrraza getting shut for a few years, and that was inside Poble Espanyol?) so we'll have to wait and see.

I'll cross my fingers for you, otherwise you'll just have to join in right?!

 
Follow Me on Twitter