Sunday, January 11, 2009

Funky Old Town Art Gallery

Barcelona sights - La Xina ART
I was walking through the old town today (as usual), and stumbled upon this cool art gallery in Carrer Doctor Dou, number 4, which I think is a bit of a piss-take on the modern art world. It asks the question "Can you make a piece without it being 'Art'?"
· ¿Se pueden hacer obras que no sean de arte?

The result is a pretty cool...erm...art work? by 9 local artists which is titled "Art Converters. El Basar del xino 4º edicó". The idea was to acquire materials purely from the Chinese shops/warehouses around the city and then create the plastic sculpture which runs all the way around the gallery space.
Barcelona Sights - Old Town Art
View from inside, looking out.
Barcelona Sights - View inside La Xina ART
It opened in December, and I only found out after returning home that today was supposed to be "open doors" to actually dismantle the piece. Maybe I could have taken home a couple of souvenirs?! There were 3 guys in there chatting and one photographer who I assume were documenting the last few hours maybe? I congratulated them on the piece, and my little boy, Jack, told them that he thought it was a Christmas tree (he's 3) and they loved that!
Barcelona Sights - floor detail of Art converters
I thought it was really cool, and such a funny thing to come across without even meaning to. You can see here below the traditional caganers and even a "pissingner"?!
Barcelona sights - window detail
Back wall centrepiece.
Barcelona Sights - art centrepiece
Barcelona Sights - Gallery wall
Barcelona Sights - column detail Xina ART

I'll keep my eyes out for what might crop up here shortly, and post again if it's anything of interest! Comments welcome as always guys!

For more information on Barcelona, see this Barcelona Guide about the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. And for Apartments for rent in Barcelona, look no further than BCN Rentals.

0 comments:

 
Follow Me on Twitter